Update: Check out the traducción al español
Update #2: Check out the Portugese translation
Update #3: Check out the Chinese translation: Grails每周观察
Happy (belated) Festivus to you all.
A few notes first. I missed an item last week, Peter Ledbrook’s writeup of the cool stuff he’s working on at beta.grails.org. Also, if you want to keep up with these “This Week in Grails” posts you can access them directly via their category link or in an RSS reader with the feed for just these posts.
Grails vs Symfony
- A performance comparison of Grails with the Symfony PHP library
- Lots of cool new stuff in the 2.1.1 release of the eclipse-groovy plugin.
- Over 100,000 emails have been sent to the Grails User mailing list (just over 3000 from me 😉
Functional Web Testing with Geb
- Using Geb for functional testing (in German)
- A similar aggregator of Grails information in Spanish
- Information about the 1.0.1 release
- The Liquibase library for managing database migrations has been released. I’ll be releasing a new Grails plugin using Liquibase 2.0.0 next week.
Less CSS plugin
- The official announcement of the Less CSS plugin I mentioned last week
Grails + Gradle
- How to build a Grails application with Gradle
Groovy++ + Gradle
- Groovy++ now has a Gradle build
The Grails Resources Plugin
- Details on the new Resources plugin
Groovy is not Java
- “Groovy can accomplish things that are simply not possible in Java. This talk will blow your mind because it will migrate your mindset about programming from static to dynamic.”
There were 8 new plugins released:
- batch-launcher version 0.4.1. Load and run batch (non-webapp) Grails applications
- dbdeploy version 0.1. Wrapper for the DBDeploy library
- freemarker-tags version 0.5.3. Lets you use Grails Dynamic Tag Libraries as Freemarker directives
- jqplot version 0.1. Tags to integrate http://www.jqplot.com/
- lesscss version 0.9.3. Official release of the Less CSS framework plugin
- scripting version 0.1.1. Lets you create Groovy scripts as CRUDs and run them
- shortenurl version 0.1. Integrates with two URL shortening services as described in http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-grails09159/index.html
- tomcatnio version 1.3.4. Apache Tomcat NIO plugin
There were also several updated plugins:
- ajaxflow version 0.1.10. Enables Ajaxified Webflows
- cache-headers version 1.1.3. Improve application performance with browser caching
- chargify version 1.0. Integration with http://chargify.com/
- greenmail version 1.2.2. Support for email testing with GreenMail
- grom version 0.2.1. Sends notifications on Windows, Linux, and Mac
- maven-publisher version 0.7.4. Publish Grails projects and plugins to local and remote Maven repositories
- multi-tenant-spring-security version 0.2.0. Integrates the multi-tenant plugin with the spring-security-core plugin
- ofchart version 0.6.2. Open Flash Chart Plugin
- resources version 1.0-RC1b. Improved handling for static resources (JS, CSS, images, etc.)
- routing version 1.1.0. Integration with Camel
- routing-jms version 1.1.0. JMS/ActiveMQ support for the routing plugin
- springcache version 1.3. Caches Spring bean methods and page fragments generated by Grails controllers
- zk version 1.0.1. Adds ZK Ajax framework (www.zkoss.org) support to Grails applications
- zk-ee version 1.0.1. Enterprise Addons for the ZK plugin
- @greymeister: This is what it’s like to start using #groovy and #grails after years of J2EE development: http://bit.ly/flmM41
- @NoticeLocal: Today we invited the #Grails developer community to take a look at NoticeLocal.
- @javazquez: #Scala plugin for #grails, so far, so good…
- @sebi2706: http://busk.fm/ is the next last.fm killer and it’s based on #grails and #html5 !!!
- @chris_maxwell: two simple lines to get grails and a secure svn working for 1.3.5. saved me from the maven repo route http://tinyurl.com/27hls4o #grails
- @ajevans85: Cool, my grails patch got committed to core in under 24 hours
- @TinyRod: Wishing everyone in the Spring and Grails communities a very happy holidays! http://twitpic.com/3ij5jq
- @RickHigh: http://www.indeed.com/jobtrends?q=grails+groovy,+seam+java&l= Grails catches up to Seam.
- @wangjammer5: Just completed very productive call with @jeffscottbrown and @burtbeckwith on pulling #Grails resources into core in 1.4 – it will rock!
- @rfletcherEW: #Grails Springcache plugin v1.3 is out featuring custom key generation, cache sharding, cache control header support, taglib caching, etc.
- Web Developer (PHP, Grails), GameSalad, Inc, Austin, Texas Area
- @mitchmalone: Any Java/grails devs out there in Sydney interested in working on something awesome next year? Drop me a DM! Plz RT
- @condesa_sama: Algún programador en Java que esté interesado en proyecto con Grails?? TIEMPO COMPLETO Please RT y DM para los detalles 😀