The first milestone release of Grails 1.4 was released this week and it’s got a ton of cool features. Check out the release notes for the details of what’s been added for this release – it’s a long list
Marc Palmer released v1.0 of the resources plugin and he’s written some extensive documentation. This is included by default in 1.4 and can be installed in 1.2 or higher, so plugin developers should read the Calling all developers of UI library / front end plugins and Call for people to write Resources plugins threads from the mailing list.
A note for plugin developers – please be sure to update the plugin descriptor before releasing your plugin, or at least edit the details of the plugin page at grails.org. If I see that there’s a new plugin but it shows “Plugin summary/headline” as the title and “Your name” as the developer name I don’t include it here. Perhaps it’s a bit on the harsh side, but I assume that if you can’t be bothered to document the absolute minimum details of your plugin, it’s probably not worth looking at. Also, a reminder of something I’ve mentioned before – please change the minimum required version of Grails to something reasonable. Two plugins were released this week requiring at least v1.3.7 of Grails, and this will keep users who aren’t on the latest version from even trying out your plugins.
Translations of this post:
- A Few of Our Favorite Cloud Foundry Apps (Includes Rob’s Grails 1.4 scaffolding demo)
- Customizing The Grails Spring Security UI Plugin
- Groovy Goodness: Paging Support in Groovy SQL
- Groovy Goodness: Change XML Structure
- Short intro to grails database migration
- Constraint tests in Grails
- Groovy 1.8 Logging
- What’s New in Groovy-Eclipse 2.5.0?
- Monitoring Grails Apps part 2 – data collection
- This week in Spring: May 24th, 2011
There were 6 new plugins released:
- concordion version 0.1. Provides a convenient integration between the Concordion framework —an open source tool for writing automated acceptance tests in Java— and Grails applications
- gsp-taglib version 0.2.1. Makes it possible to declare tags in a gsp in grails-app/taglib
- js-tree version 0.1. Integrates the http://www.jstree.com/ jQuery plugin
- regen version 0.2.12. Provides a generation framework and a set of pluggable artefacts under grails-app/generators
- swf-upload version 0.2. Integrates http://swfupload.org/
- translate version 1.0. Translates text from one language to another using the Google Translate API
and 9 updated plugins:
- dbunit-operator version 1.6.1. Create initial data with the help of DbUnit
- force-response-download version 0.1.1. Forces the browser to open a dialog for downloading content produced within controller actions
- gemfire version 1.0.0.M3. The GemFire plugin provides integration with the GemFire in-memory distributed data management platform.
- notifications version 0.2.3. Implements a publish-subscribe model to push information to subscribers through different communication channels
- resources version 1.0. A resource management and processing framework
- scala version 0.6.2. Allows you to compile Scala sources in the /src/java and /src/scala folders of your application
- serializable-session version 0.2. Enforces that the session will only accept serializable objects
- spring-security-core version 1.1.3. The official Grails security plugin; integrates with Spring Security
- weceem version 1.0.RC2. A content management system
- @marioggar: Using the Spock Web Console (http://meetspock.appspot.com/) during the Spock conference at #gr8conf. Cool !!
- @wmacgyver: There is a #lisp builder for #groovy?! http://t.co/SmTusMJ
- @gruttepier: New Grails powered site online: Dutch online furniture catalogue www.volanti.nl #grails #volanti
- @aalmiray: interesting to see how many #groovy projects have joined the AST manipulation wagon #gr8conf
- @musketyr: is @boruvek planning to enlight czech devs with some new #groovy #grails info site or is http://grailsobservator.cz/ just a demo. who knows.
- @smaldini: #grails and @intellijidea users : please vote for http://bit.ly/hazvLC – Grails 1.4 support
- @aalmiray: I’m so glad that https://github.com/canoo/grails-ulc exists. It makes building ULC applications a breeze. Go #groovy!
- @frankvilhelmsen: A super cool, and BIG webapp built in the #groovy dynamic language #grails http://bit.ly/iM5V3t
- @jonasbehmer: Having fun with #codenarc http://tinyurl.com/3u7flcu. Tidying up 155 violations in #grails app
- @dun4n: mixing MySQL ds and MongoDB ds via GORM : simple as #Grails !
- @smaldini: #groovy #grails tip n°42423 : “Optional typing” means what it means, please don’t use ‘def’ everywhere and then cry about readability
- @padraicdoyle: Playing around with the simplified unit testing in #grails 1.4 …this is going to save a lot of time and code.
- @mittie: next installments of my #groovy and #grails trainings London June http://skillsmatter.com/expert-profile/groovy-grails/dierk-koenig
- @groovystartups: Awesome #Grails powered startup, you need to check out kodesk : http://kodesk.com/
- @domix: Curioso, ahora que solicite Java devs, recibo 6 CVs con experiencia en Grails. Hace 6 meses cuando pedí no recibí ni uno
- @evi8n: If you’re a #git-guru, I have a job for you on the Cloud Foundry team! #cfoundry #job
- @PaulAtMetacoda: Reading up on groovy & grails – may well become a fan. Excited to hear there could be a proc groovy in #SAS 9.3: in http://goo.gl/7Ryhr
- @ldaley: Grails 1.4 will be much more amenable to being part of multi project builds with other build systems… like Gradle
- @evi8n: Cloud Foundry is looking to an Open Source Ambassador with fluent git skills. Is this the #job for you? #cfoundry #git http://t.co/6Fy8ZON
- @JorgeUriarte: From #grails 1.4-M1 release notes: “making it possible to reload changes to domain classes”… crying out of happiness…
- @mittie: #groovy concurrent concurrent “game of life” version with #gpars http://bit.ly/jWqJQl
- @evgeny_goldin: #Gr8Conf, Copenhagen, May 2011 – http://goo.gl/v7Onu (Photos)
- Dice keyword search for Grails
- Monster keyword search for Grails
- Careerbuilder keyword search for Grails
- SpringSourceJob Twitter feed
- @leisenstein: Any Grails developers in Atlanta out there looking for an opportunity in healthcare?? If so, send me a message on linkedin #in .
- Fundspire is hiring
- @seanroach: Seeking Boston-based application developers and/or development firm. Java needed, Grails a huge bonus. Know anyone?
- Senior Java Spring Engineer – Best Place to Work in LA ! – Santa Monica, CA
- Java/Grails Developer at ECHOage in Toronto, ON
- Web Developer – Grails (contract) in Edmonton, AB
- Groovy/Grails Developer in Hyderabad
- @megs04: Grails, anyone? I have a contract opening in Phoenix if anyone is interested.
- Estamos buscando un desarrollador Java para la ciudad de México, que tenga sólidos conocimientos de desarrollo web
- Senior Grails Developer w/ Fun Internet Company (Downtown Silver Spring)
- Software Engineer (Grails and Groovy) in Frederick, MD
- @watchmelearnror: Looking for Ruby on Rails or Groovy / Grails developers in Seattle area. DM if interested
- Senior Developer Grails and Groovy in Bangalore
- @shin_nien: We’re after a #Grails developer to work on secretescapes.com. Central London. Contract or perm. Drop me a line if you’re interested.
- User Interface Engineer in Palaiseau
- Software Engineer – Grails Web Service (Bellevue, WA)
- Groovy / Grails Developer in Hamburg
- Web Application Developer – Bochum, Germany
- Java Developer/Grails in Phoenix, AZ
- Software Engineer Intern at eHarmony
User groups and Conferences
GR8 Conference US 2011
- June 27th-28th in Minneapolis, MN
7. September 2011 in Düsseldorf
- CamelCaseCon – The Next Generation of Programming Languages
SpringOne 2GX 2011
- October 25th-28th in Chicago, IL
Groovy 1.8 New Features – Monday, May 23, 2011
- New York Groovy / Grails Meetup Group
Smarter Testing With Spock – Tuesday, May 31, 2011
- Philadelphia Groovy and Grails User Group
Building something that looks like an SOA in Grails – Wednesday, June 1, 2011
- Austin Groovy and Grails Meetup Group
Les nouveautés de Groovy 1.8 et Grails 1.4 – Tuesday, June 7, 2011
- Paris Groovy and Grails User Group